Wednesday, August 22, 2012

05.28.2012 Memorials

Every Memorial Day, my husband Eric stands with the rest of the town's firefighters for outdoor services from 8am until noon.   Because they're required to wear full dress uniforms, he almost always comes home DRENCHED in sweat (which is fun because the uniforms are, of course, dry clean only!)

And even as I complain of the extra time and expenses a dry clean uniform requires, I forget what the holiday is all about.

Today is  a MEMORIAL to all those who have fought (and died) for us.  Each year, the services memorialize the losses we've suffered as a town: fire department, EMS, police department - 2 of these 3 are volunteer.  We've only had one active line-of-duty death in the past 6 years in the fire department.  My husband, and his entire company, were very close to Lance and still dedicate (even throughout the year) numerous toasts and barbeques to him...

I sit here today and remind myself that these men and women we are remembering and honoring today, my husband included, VOLUNTEER themselves for this dangerous job.  It's an incredible and incredibly selfless thing to do.

I don't think I can fully express it, but I am so so gratefuly that there are people in the world like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment